THE PROJECT COMPRISED OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW THREE STOREY CSSD FACILITY TO THE REAR OF THE HOSPITAL SITE.
The project included the removal and demolition of the former Estates Department Building and diversion of mains services around the footprint of the new building.
The new building was constructed using a steel frame structure supported off a piled foundation solution including the formation of a driven sheet piling retaining wall to the north elevation. The upper floors were formed with pre-stressed concrete floor planks with precast concrete staircase units. Externally, the building envelope was formed with a combination of facing brickwork and pressed aluminium feature plank cladding with a blockwork and insulated cladding panel inner skin. The roof has been finished with an insulated cladding panel system. Internally, the ground floor level has been fitted out to form the new CSSD facility with office accommodation being provided to the first and second floor levels.
Key features of the project include:
- Bored and driven sheet piled foundation solution
- Three storey steel frame structure
- Occupied live hospital site
- Installation of Specialist Sterilisation Equipment
- Single Stage procurement route
- RIBA Suffolk Craftmanship Award 2018 - Commendation Large New Building